Who we can help

We offer free help if you feel you have suffered discrimination (defined below) and you live in the Bristol City Council area (check here). Please ring 0117 916 7704.

We may also be able to help if you live in B&NES so please contact us with your details. If you live in other areas please search for other help using one of the links below.

We are partners in the Bristol Hate Crime & Discrimination Service.


Types of discrimination

It is against the law (Equality Act 2010) to discriminate against anyone because of:

  • age
  • being or becoming a transsexual person
  • being married or in a civil partnership
  • being pregnant or on maternity leave
  • disability
  • race including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin
  • religion, belief or lack of religion/belief
  • sex
  • sexual orientation

These are called ‘protected characteristics’.

You’re protected from discrimination:

  • at work
  • in education
  • as a consumer
  • when using public services
  • when buying or renting property
  • as a member or guest of a private club or association

We can help you make a complaint, or take your case to court or tribunal.



Further support and information

Equality & Human Rights Commission (EHRC)

Equality Act: How you can be discriminated against

ACAS: Advice for employers and employees

Her Majesty’s Courts Service

Contact us

Call 0117 924 8662 and we will tell you if and how we can help

Email disc@ablc.org.uk  (including your postcode and phone number)

Fax 0117 955 8280

Or fill in the form below.

* Indicates required field

Any personal data submitted to the Law Centre through this contact form or by email or phone will be confidentially and securely stored for 18 months in accordance with our data retention policy. It will be held by the Law Centre as Data Controller and will only be used for the purposes of considering and where appropriate, responding to your enquiry (and any associated purposes). It will not be disclosed to any third parties and will be securely deleted after 18 months. You have a right to be told what data we hold about you (though you are likely to have provided us with that data) and to have it corrected if it is wrong and can read our full privacy policy here.

Search for other advice

If we’re unable to help you, use the search buttons below to find someone who can. For example, we’re unable to advise on criminal issues, actions against the police, civil litigation, personal injury, wills/probate.

You might also like

Human Rights & Public Law

Free legal help If you have been affected by a decision or act of a public body.



Legal advice and support with issues arising at work.


Welfare Benefits

Legal advice and representations for Welfare Benefit appeals.